Summer is winding to a close, fall is right around the corner and winter will be here before you know it. While it might seem like winter is too far away to start thinking about, it’s always better to err on the side of preparedness, especially when it comes to the performance and safety of your semi. Keep reading for some pro tips to help you get ready for winter driving and for information on reliable commercial truck roadside assistance in Ocala, FL.
Here are some helpful tips to get you and your semi ready for the winter months:
- Get an oil change: Oil changes are essential to the performance of an engine and your vehicle’s efficiency on the road. Routine oil changes optimize engine performance, minimize fuel waste and reduce the risk of roadside breakdowns in harsh weather conditions.
- Check brakes: The brake system is one of the most crucial systems on a semi truck. When brakes are worn or defective, it can be difficult or even impossible for a driver to safely stop a truck, especially when driving on hills or on icy roads. Check your truck’s brakes on a regular basis and invest in replacement or repair as soon as you notice something wrong with your braking system.
- Inspect tires: Tread depth is always important, but it’s especially important during the winter months, when road conditions tend to get worse. Make sure you’ll get plenty of traction by inspecting your tires and replacing them when necessary.
- Test your battery: Battery failure is one of the most common causes of vehicle breakdowns in the winter. When it’s cold outside, the battery has to work harder to generate the spark necessary for ignition. If your battery has a weak charge, it might not have enough power to start your engine. Test your battery during your regular service appointment, as well as before long drives, especially if you’re heading out in particularly harsh winter weather conditions.
- Check lights: With shorter days, cloudier weather and more frequent storms, winter visibility tends to be poor. Before leaving on a route, check your brake lights, turn signals, headlights and mirrors to make sure you have as much visibility as possible on the road.
- Know who to call: Even after taking every reasonable precaution, you still might find yourself dealing with a roadside emergency. When that happens, it’s important that you know exactly who to call. Find a local provider of roadside assistance, and keep that company’s contact information in your phone or in your cab so you’ll know who to call in an emergency.
Reliable commercial truck roadside assistance in Ocala, FL
When you’re in an emergency situation, you might not have time to research local semi truck service providers to find the company that will offer you the best service. At J & M Trailer Repair, we are committed to the quality of our service and the satisfaction of our customers—no matter what the situation is or what their needs may be. Give us a call and keep our number on hand whenever you need maintenance services, repair or emergency roadside assistance.