High-quality tires for the average vehicle are not cheap, and the price tag is even higher for heavy duty commercial truck tires. This is all the more reason to ensure you are getting the biggest bang for your buck when the time comes to replace worn commercial vehicle tires. Factors to consider include tire strength, efficiency and the ability to roll over a variety of services without issue. The great thing about installing the right quality tires on your commercial vehicles is that you can increase the efficiency of your fleet—for example, your fuel economy should improve with the appropriate new tires.
If some of your vehicles’ tires look worse for wear, you’d be wise to replace them soon. Here are a few important things to keep in mind when choosing new commercial truck tires in Marion County, FL:
- Rolling resistance: The rolling resistance of tires varies—some have more, others have less. Know that heavier rugged tires may not be as fuel efficient as tires weighing less; many commercial trucks need heavy tires.
- Proper wheel alignment: A key to long-lasting commercial vehicle tires is maintaining proper wheel alignment. Improper wheel alignment means the tires are likely not straight, which can lead to uneven tread wear and tire damage.
- Inflation and air pressure: Like any vehicle, you want to make sure to not overinflate or underinflate your commercial truck tires—this is bad for both tire condition and fuel economy. It’s good practice to check tire pressure before and after job-site runs, as well as when the weather changes.
- Off-road commercial vehicle traction: Do your vehicles do more off-road driving than pavement driving? Heavy duty trucks that frequent job sites typically need heavier tires to get around. Because of this, you want to think about getting tires with commercial traction. They are perfect for off-road job sites in rough conditions, but also hold their ground well on roads that are slick, uneven or have turns that are difficult to navigate.
- General considerations: To make choosing commercial tires even simpler, remember the following. Look for tires with high marks for handling, braking and hydroplaning resistance, as well as tires that make your list for riding comfort, tread style, noise level and a good warranty. You should also choose a tire based on your business’ location, including weather conditions and types of terrains. And most importantly, get tires that are appropriate for the type of work your commercial truck does.
There are several telltale signs that you should consider replacing your commercial truck tires. In between professional maintenance checks, inspect tires for issues, like tire bulges, cracks in the rubber, uneven tread wear or low tread. Also, listen to the employees who drive the vehicles on a regular basis. Don’t ignore their concerns, especially if they tell you they’re experiencing excessive vibration while driving, or tire squealing during turns.
Whether your fleet can benefit from new commercial truck tires in Marion County, FL or your vehicles are in need of tire balancing and rotation, rest assured the tire technicians at J & M Trailer Repair have got you covered. Contact our team to schedule an appointment or ask about our tire specials!